Just under 1 year ago, we explained how different adverts are shown on StatCounter in different parts of the world. This means that here in StatCounter HQ, we don’t actually get to see every single advert shown to our members.
We like to think of StatCounter as a “family show” so we do our best to screen out any nasty adverts. Despite our efforts, however, we had a report last night of another nasty advert being shown on our site to a member in the United States… so now we are asking for your help to eliminate these offensive ads!
If you spot a nasty advert on StatCounter here’s what to do:
- Right click on the advert and select either Copy Shortcut (IE) or Copy Link Location (Netscape) to capture the URL of the advert.
(Please make sure only to RIGHT CLICK on the advert – left clicking would result in you inadvertently supporting the ad.)
- Paste this link or URL into a text editor (e.g. Word or Notepad) to keep it safe until you’re ready to paste it in our blog.
- Please then come here to our blog and post a comment and tell us:
- The type of advert i.e. what’s offensive about it.
- Where the advert was on the StatCounter site e.g. on the left hand side of the homepage.
- Paste the URL info you captured earlier into the comment also. (This allows us to block the advert)
As we explained last year, StatCounter advertising revenue is used to fund our free service – but we only want the nicest, best behaved ads on our site…
Many thanks for your help folks – together let’s stamp out these nasty ads!
By the way, when we say “nasty” adverts we mean any adverts that contain nudity, suggestive poses, sex, sex phonelines, escort services etc. All the kind of things that WE don’t want and YOU don’t expect to stumble upon when you are looking at StatCounter!
Update August 2008
Due to the amount of spam comments we’re receiving on this post, we’re now closing off the comments.
If you spot any nasty adverts, please post the details in the comments to any of our latest blog posts and we will be happy to take care of them.