Stout Performance by FF3

According to analysis conducted by us here at StatCounter, the Mozilla Firefox Guinness Book of Records attempt has been a major success in encouraging users to download Firefox 3.

Usage of Firefox 3 more than doubled between June 16th and 18th from 7.8% to 18.9%. Trend graphs are available here.

“The Firefox folks have certainly earned themselves a pint of Guinness,” commented Aodhan Cullen, CEO, StatCounter. “This is a major success in encouraging users to upgrade in a short period.”

We also found that the Guinness promotion seems to be having a generally positive effect on Firefox market share. The overall Firefox share of the browser market increased from 34.9% to 36% over the two day period while Internet Explorer fell slightly from 56.3% to 55.4%.

The StatCounter analysis was based on a sample of 55 million page views globally including 20 million US page views.

This entry was posted in Global Stats. Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Stout Performance by FF3

1. Bap says:

Is good to have options and any one have the right to decide what is better.
    For now I still support IE as it is, in my opinion, the best browser in the market, as we can see by the values statcounter is showing.

2. Ankur says:

I want to say something,people talk about the success of Firefox,just try to open some tabs around 5 or 6 and see the memory usage in the task manager,everyone would come to know about it so for me IE 7 is better.

3. Oliver says:

Haha, let the troll wars begin in the comments, the two first are world-class already, and I trust the replies to be top-notch as well ;)

4. Pingback: Firefox 3 auf dem Weg zum Massenbrowser » GROSSE WORTE

5. Devon says:

FireFox is faster, by far. I was supporting IE7 for some time, but around two weeks ago I just had to switch. Many sites were loading slow, and many were showing that “Switch to FF couse IE7 sucks” thing.

6. There were minor problems with earlier versions of Firefox,
    I hope they are fixed in FF3.
    IE7 is also good, but FF rocks.
    Nothing beats Firefox Extensions.

7. Highwaymen says:

Firefox owns all browsers, period. It’s faster, more secure and more customizable than any other browser on the market, nuff said.

8. Vectorpedia says:

Firefox is the king of the browsers……..I heard there were a lot of Firefox download parties on the social networks to help set the record.

9. thank you wery much…

10. Pingback: Firefox, der Browser der Zukunft | IT-System-Kaufleute

11. Rodnei says:

Ankur says: “just try to open some tabs around 5 or 6 and see the memory usage in the task manager”

Download Fx3 and compare :-)

12. sohbet says:

firefox is the best i love its speed.

13. John D says:

Would you choose Firefox over Safari on a MAC?

14. Cool to know! Thanks.

15. Ankur says:

Rodnei U may compare between IE 7 or IE 8 beta 1 and between Firefox 3 their is still a lot of difference between memory usage or which we call memory leakage

16. We have dumped IE long time back now we cant even think of using it. You guys will be shocked to know even IE7.com recommends to use firefox :D

Check http://www.ie7.com and enjoy!!

17. Pingback: itsystemkaufleute.de » Blog Archive » Firefox, der Browser der Zukunft

18. roboba says:

Humm,, and how many of you downlaoded the NEW FF vulnerability. A new record I bet,,,,,
    See here http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001458.html
    I still say IE is better!

19. Michael says:

I just downloaded FF3 the other day. I guess i heard about it a little late. But I have to agree that it has some pretty sweet features that 2 didn’t have.

Love it!

20. jocuri says:

i have a little problems with it and i ve heard that it was released because a day ago was released opera and the clients were stolen:d

21. biped says:

what was the guiness record thing about?

22. jobs says:

very gooooooood work
    thanks a lot

23. I also certainly believe that Firefox 3 has made some mark in the global audience with this record. Cheers to the Firefox 3 team everyone who participated.

24. Firefox is such an important part of most marketers business structure. I cannot imagine going back to only using Internet Explorer?

I just don’t even want to entertain the idea!

Miss Gisele B.

25. Shreemani says:

thank you wery much… ff3 simply rocks….

26. Ted says:

Are these aggregate global statistics, for example market share of browsers, browser versions, and operating systems, available anywhere in StatCounter? If not, could they be made available? Seems like it would be a useful and popular feature.

27. Firefox is a good all round tool, but I won’t use to many of the plug-ins at one time, as I find it very quirky.

Student Education and Financing

28. I LOVE Firefox! Ever since FF came out… I dumped IE faster than you can say “Switch!”

29. Long live FireFox! Although I have had a few quirks to work out between Firefox and Vista, I still love it. And how cool that StatCounter has access to so much data and can tell us stuff like that. Sweet!

30. Lakelandmom says:

IE7 is not compatible with a few key sites I use day to day for work. I have to use Firefox to make things work right. IE7 has been crashing on my computer for months, I’ve reinstalled several times and Firefox continues to run bug-free.

31. Johnny D says:

I also enjoy this Blog…..

Great tips and info always!!!

32. Chris says:

I have both IE& and FF loaded on the ‘ol computer. I have to use them both for website testing. Personally, I prefer FF over IE because it seems to be alot less buggie and it loads waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster!!!
    Thanks guys for supporting Fire Fox – its the better deal

33. d0ri0 says:

Oh, I have always loved firefox. And will always use it. Only use IE to test my pages =p. More opensource to the people!

34. David P says:

Hey StatCounter
    As you have access to so many stats from so many sites maybe you should make a summery of it all.
    You could have a list of the most popular browsers, OS, ISP etc.

35. Vivek Yadav says:

yes ,. Firefox rocks really.. with it’s army of extensions it’s superb ..

36. Long live firefox…may it continue to grow until there is no longer a single soul using internet explorer on the face of the planet. I can dream can’t I?

37. Forex says:

Hey StatCounter
    You could have a list of the most popular browsers, OS, ISP etc.

38. Matt says:

Not a fan of Firefox here. I understand you gurus say it is not vulnerable and that stuff like IE but until I can look at a site and have it look the quality of IE…I don’t even want it on my computers. I have one computer with Firefox that I do a test on before launching a web site just to make sure nothing I scripted confused Firefox… Common guys they left out the header function in PHP in the last version I was using. Ridiculous!

Anything can be a success with Google backing it.

39. I find the new Firefox to be much better than the previous ones as well as IE. The best feature for me is the domain suggest tool based on your history.

40. cklimen says:

Lookout both FF & IE…. here comes “Chrome” the new browser from Google. Aparently it’s open source, fast, & secure. I’m gonna check it out, if Chrome ends up being everything its been tooted, It’ll kill both IE and FF.

41. otogaz says:

42. ArabBible says:

We love Firefox………thanks guys for sharing this information with us.

43. prefabrik says:

firefox is the best i love it

44. Alex says:

I surf the net using IE and Firefox – IE (20%) and Firefox (80%). Firefox is better, but I need to check my new sites using IE too.