SC4 Update 2!

Hi all,

We want to thank you all SO much for your patience with the SC4 conversion! Believe us, we are working hard to get the conversion done asap – we are as excited about the new improvements as so many of YOU are and we just can’t wait to roll them out to all our members.

The Wait Won’t be THIS Long – We Promise!

The position at the moment is that 5 of the 47 StatCounter partitions are fully operational under the new SC4 system.

We have also narrowed the co-location providers down to a shortlist of four. We are now currently working to negotiate the final deal.

Some of the issues we are considering at the moment include:

• Location – is California just too vulnerable to earthquakes to locate some of our hosting there? Is Ohio a safer destination from a natural disaster point of view?
  • Servers - shall we go with Dell, HP or Supermicro servers? Which servers are the best? Which allow the best remote management? Which have the least power comsumption?
  • Backup - there must be a second datacenter in each geographical location (in addition to globally dispersed backups) – how far from the original datacenter is sufficient for redundancy and how close is sufficient for efficiency?

We’re very lucky to count many talented IT professionals among our members, so if any of you would like to share your thoughts and opinions on the above, we’d love to hear from you. Please post your comments below.

Notes:

• Once we reach a final deal in relation to our hosting requirements, we will then begin conversion again, initially on a test basis, before full conversion will be completed.
  • Don’t forget that all NEW StatCounter projects created are automatically created on the SC4 system – if you want instant access to some of the new features before your existing projects are converted, you can simply set up a new, temporary project now!
  • Related posts:
    SC4 Conversion
    Conversion Update

This entry was posted in SC4. Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to SC4 Update 2!

1. Just wanted to say you have a great product here.

As a caveat, however, I must add that speaking as a native (and fourth-generation) Californian, earthquakes aren’t as -er- shattering an event here as popular media likes to suggest. This wretched continent is somewhat susceptible to more natural disasters (tornados, hurricanes and so forth) than Ireland and the UK (and I just got back from Dublin and London), yes, but please don’t allow the hype to supersede practicality.

Many thanks for your hard work!

—HF

2. Conan says:

This is so cool – can’t wait for the conversion and all those new tracked stats to become available.

I had no idea you had to choose datacenters even taking such things like location and earthquake risk in mind, but I guess it comes with running a huge project such as StatCounter.

3. Hey yall,

We appreciate the thought and foresight that you guys are taking in choosing your next steps. That’s one of the real marks of professionalism. Keep up the good work.

4. Neil Parks says:

By all means come to Ohio. We are not known for earthquakes.

The U S Government has 2 of its 3 major electronic communications hubs in Ohio–one in Columbus and one in Dayton. (The other one is in Ogden, Utah.)

5. You are always doing BEST. That’s why Statcounter is No.1.
    Some month before a top chair person of SEO company suggest me for Google analytics, then I informed him, I get good trffic statical analysis at Statcounter and show my account. He says- WONDER, it is the BEST.
    Thanks.
    Dr. Sudhanshu

6. Jim says:

Hi,

I think you’re right to think about natural disasters. Although there is a huge amount of hype about Californian earthquakes why even risk it?

You don’t need to be anywhere other than near a fault-resilient Internet connection.

As for servers…

As an ex-programme director my projects almost always used HP servers. Did they go wrong? I don’t know because we never, ever had any complaints!

JIm

7. ruffdeezy says:

Thanks, I appreciate the good job you are doing, Statcounter has always been the best. Anyways, is this server change the reason my stats are 2 hours behind schedule? It’s not a big deal, just curious.

8. Thanks for the update…your efforts are appreciated as always!

9. Dorte Toft says:

Only 3 visits to day. You must be kidding. Update problem? O.K. situated in Europe, so you might have used a less busy moment, but still.

10. Shiva says:

I dont feel any effect on my account

11. Shiva says:

Wassup SCT!!!
    Keep rocking..
    Keep Converting…
    But keep my account the same it was a year ago…
    man what the heack…
    i dont see any change in my old account…
    i made new accounts for my new blogs…
    and they all got new and additional features…
    but the old one still has the same damn’ features.
    Explanation??
    Well u have already given…………
    Try to write it once more…
    to me

Shiva
    CrAzYbLoG , v.CoL
    (sorry for spamming… i love to see ur links in recent came from :) ;) )

12. Shiva says:

sorry for littering crap :(

13. Phil says:

Ohio, great choice! I’m in Cincinnati and could hook you up with some companies –i’ve used before– if you want.

14. Vectorpedia says:

Keep up the good work and thanks for informing us as to the status of the conversion………..hope all goes well……………

15. The position at the moment is that 5 of the 47 StatCounter partitions are fully operational under the new SC4 system???

How long do you think it going to finish?
    How big is statcounter?

Did you know here is Portugal, is safe here maybe to expensive for you…

The sun is free…

16. OracleDisect says:

Then I must propose Mexico! we have a brand new datacenter here at Queretaro, more than 200K sq ft., excellent facilities (Triara says power plants are capable of providing electric supply to this 1 million population city)… and also we don’t have earthquakes.
    :-)

17. Not Impressed says:

California earthquakes?? Please.

18. Pascal says:

All good questions (and nice to hear about the progress too!).

As far as answers goes, probably more than one good answer for each question, so not such a bad problem to have :). Here are my 2 cents:

Location: California is probably not such a big concern (for earthquakes). Especially since it is not your only location. And connectivity to the rest of the world is probably as good as it gets (in terms of pairing and capacity)

Server: I use mostly supermicro (I have some servers up since 2000 and still humming, even after 3 data centers moves), although you probably can’t go wrong with Dell, but you are going to pay for it, and I’m not sure the name is worth the difference.

Backup: distance does not matter so much as good pairing. If your bandwidth provider has a direct fiber link between 2 datacenter, does it matter so much how far apart they are?

Good luck!

19. Tom says:

Its great to see that the sc4 conversion is rolling in

Here are my suggestions:

Location – In cali there are earthquakes, in florida tornadoes…maybe you would consider NY or Texas

Servers – with no doubt my suggestion is dell, their new blade servers pwn HP

Backup – depends on connectivity i don’t think that within 0-100miles there will be a problem

Cheers,
    Tom

20. Barry W says:

Only happy that you are trying your best to get things done, and actually updating us on what going on is an absolute bonus that other organisations dont seem to grasp.

21. Blog Tactic says:

Indeed there are plenty of considerations to think about.

22. MTC says:

Cool! Can’t wait!

23. Webmaster says:

Congratz guys on SC 4. I am egarly waiting for the full conversion of it.
    Anyway, I can not suggest any locations in US as I do not belong there.

24. Please stay in California, thanks! Many of my friends have testified that data center in California will be faster for visitors from Asia-pacific area.

25. Captjim says:

The only place that is safe in this country is inside of Cheyenne Mt.

26. Rita M. says:

Thanks so much for the update! Just had to say, StatCounter is by far the best , I’ve tried a couple and you guys are doing an excellent job! can’t wait to try the new SC4.
    Take Care and keep up the good work!
    Rita

27. Rick says:

Ohio’s been a natural disaster for quite a few decades! Seems like the logical choice!!

28. Rich says:

I’ve never posted on the blog before, but thought I’d say it’s cool the service you provide. And the upgrade! (goes without saying) – and I never realised it was also an infrastructure change, rather than just a code change. Rock N’ Roll people!!

29. Leonel says:

Hi! I live and work in Argentina. We have been using DELL Servers for two years now (PowerEdge 2950) and those things really work. We have them in an environment that is very dusty and next to a window that we sometimes have to open because of the heat, and they keep going and going.

Thank you for all the work you have been doing. Statcounter is Number one!!

30. mobilya says:

:)Thanks for the update. your efforts are appreciated as always!

31. FLV player says:

since it needs longer time to fully convert to SC4, and all the new project is automicatically come with SC4, can I add a new project code to the existing project ? I mean there is 2 new tracking code now in a website : 1 is old and 1 is new so that I can get the additional information from SC4 and would not lost the old statistic.
    Can I do that way ?

32. Regarding the choice of servers, I would go for Dell servers. Our company has used servers provided by Dell for a long time, and they provide excellent stability and value.

33. short quotes says:

nice worst-case-scenario planning there guys! i’m glad we don’t have to think about any of that stuff – 5 years and no problem from my end!
    ; )

34. Please go with Sun Servers, or IBM servers. You can’t do much better in terms of reliability quality and in the case of Sun , support.

35. Urbansocial says:

I’ve worked on a number of global company solutions in this area as a programme director and my advice would be
    a) sadly budget (as you are essentially a free service) should be a core consideration for you, and you shouldnt be afraid to honestly consider it as such.
    b) dependent upon the specific requirements of you environments it can largely be said that one vendor is as good as another (big 4 anyways)
    c) if your interested in the “green credentials” of some of the hardware providers then there are some stand out winners (but again this depends on your solution)
    d) as a number of other posts have said, California is not such a nightmare as some would have you believe
    d2) if you are truly concerned about disasters you std DR solution should account for this (and i think you have this in place already)… in either case, virtualised solution are a great benefit in this area too and allow you to very quickly bring up a stand by server farm in an alternate data center.

Sincerly many thanks though – you guys are by far the number one and all my clients (independent of the url posted above) are recommended statcounter as a fantastic service.

Jim

36. sohbet says:

i love statcounter because its upgrading day by day thanks a lot keep up work.

37. Now it´s getting even better!

Nice one ;)

38. Donate a car says:

Seems like the upgrade will provide some extra funtionality to the product. Thanks.

39. Thankyou for this fantastic tool!
    I am using it on 2 websites in Germany and the US, and it gives me exactly the informtion and transparency I need in real time.

very good job – well done

40. Fab tool

Is on my new website which is to be launched in 2009
    Thanks so much
    Keep up the good work

41. mobilya says:

42. mega says:

Hi, continue work further. Cool.

43. six pack abs says:

Hey – any word on when the updates will be applied to older accounts? Have several that I would love to have the exit link info for!