Chrome – Who’s Losing?

Here are the Global Browser Market Share stats for the last few days.

Looking at these numbers we can begin to identify which browsers are losing market share to Chrome.

IE FireFox Safari Chrome Other
Aug 28 68.17% 24.66% 2.83% N/A 4.33%
Aug 29 67.81% 24.78% 2.84% N/A 4.57%
Aug 30 65.41% 26.38% 3.04% N/A 5.17%
Aug 31 64.49% 26.91% 3.06% N/A 5.56%
Sep 01 66.92% 25.26% 2.99% N/A 4.84%
Sep 02* 67.58% 24.36% 2.91% N/A 5.06%
Sep 03 67.81% 23.54% 2.70% 1.11% 4.87%
Sep 04 70.87% 21.26% 2.48% 1.15% 4.25%

The below table outlines the changes in market share over the period:

IE FireFox Safari Chrome Other
Aug 28
Aug 29 (0.36%) +0.12% +0.01% N/A +0.24%
Aug 30 (2.40%) +1.60% +0.20% N/A +0.60%
Aug 31 (0.92%) +0.53% +0.02% N/A +0.39%
Sep 01 +2.43% (1.65%) (0.07%) N/A (0.72%)
Sep 02* +0.66% (0.90%) (0.08%) N/A +0.22%
Sep 03 +0.23% (0.82%) (0.21%) +1.11% (0.19%)
Sep 04 +3.06% (2.28%) (0.22%) +0.04% (0.62%)

*The Chrome browser was launched late in the day GMT time on Sept 2nd so the first full day of tracking for Chrome is Sept 3rd.

This information is based on a total sample for the period of over 250 million page views globally. All daily stats are based on 24 hour periods, bar the stats for today, September 4th, which are based on a 12 hour sample to 12noon GMT.

Update September 5, 2008, 4.30pm GMT

Further to several requests from journalists, the latest stats for Global Browser Market Share (up to 3pm GMT today) are available for download here:
Excel Version (.xls)
PDF Version (.pdf)

143 comments on “Chrome – Who’s Losing?

1. So far I love chrome because it hasn’t crashed. My IE crashes a number of times during a day, sometimes forcing unsaved work to be lost. I have noticed a few things that need to be corrected in chrome, but I am sure eventually it will be polished.

Its a shame that IE comes pre-installed on every PC, and that will be chromes biggest challenge. Guess they’ll just have to set up some type of affiliate program for webmasters to promote it 🙂

2. You’ve all heard of ‘The Silent Majority’?

I think you’re all overlooking an obvious fact and in the process insulting a lot of people..

I am a heavy web user and a web developer and I, like a lot of other people, use IE because I like it!

Not because I’m forced to use it or mis-guided or plain stupid… just because it works!

All you MS haters and web snobs just keep on pretending that every other browser out there is better than IE and I’ll keep on using a simple and efficient browser where I don’t have to worry what plug-ins will work or not.

Security? Get an anti-virus!!!

3. How exactly are Safari users switching to Chrome when Chrome is not even available for Mac OS X? That is absolutely no way you can make that conclusion.

4. FireFox users are strong, FF will out beat all browsers just because of its flexibility, and thousands of add ons. FireFox even got into the Guinness world records for download day for FF3. Yes I have to admit I did download Chrome, but only for cross-browser issues (Codes that look right in FireFox, Internet Explore, Opera and Safari but are having issues in Chrome) SO far I have not found any problems with my sites on Chrome. I downloaded Safari and Opera for coding issues only, and use IE for that as well.

Chrome is only in its Beta stage, things might change later on, that most of its users might not find it likable.

The only way Google Chrome will stay up is because of the Hard Core Google users.

5. You are drawing conclusions based on 3 days of data?!!!
    Everybody is trying the new Google “fruit”. Wait a couple of months and then maybe you can draw conclusions from the data…

Comments are closed.