Chrome – Who’s Losing?

Here are the Global Browser Market Share stats for the last few days.

Looking at these numbers we can begin to identify which browsers are losing market share to Chrome.

IE FireFox Safari Chrome Other
Aug 28 68.17% 24.66% 2.83% N/A 4.33%
Aug 29 67.81% 24.78% 2.84% N/A 4.57%
Aug 30 65.41% 26.38% 3.04% N/A 5.17%
Aug 31 64.49% 26.91% 3.06% N/A 5.56%
Sep 01 66.92% 25.26% 2.99% N/A 4.84%
Sep 02* 67.58% 24.36% 2.91% N/A 5.06%
Sep 03 67.81% 23.54% 2.70% 1.11% 4.87%
Sep 04 70.87% 21.26% 2.48% 1.15% 4.25%

The below table outlines the changes in market share over the period:

IE FireFox Safari Chrome Other
Aug 28
Aug 29 (0.36%) +0.12% +0.01% N/A +0.24%
Aug 30 (2.40%) +1.60% +0.20% N/A +0.60%
Aug 31 (0.92%) +0.53% +0.02% N/A +0.39%
Sep 01 +2.43% (1.65%) (0.07%) N/A (0.72%)
Sep 02* +0.66% (0.90%) (0.08%) N/A +0.22%
Sep 03 +0.23% (0.82%) (0.21%) +1.11% (0.19%)
Sep 04 +3.06% (2.28%) (0.22%) +0.04% (0.62%)

*The Chrome browser was launched late in the day GMT time on Sept 2nd so the first full day of tracking for Chrome is Sept 3rd.

This information is based on a total sample for the period of over 250 million page views globally. All daily stats are based on 24 hour periods, bar the stats for today, September 4th, which are based on a 12 hour sample to 12noon GMT.

Update September 5, 2008, 4.30pm GMT

Further to several requests from journalists, the latest stats for Global Browser Market Share (up to 3pm GMT today) are available for download here:
Excel Version (.xls)
PDF Version (.pdf)

143 comments on “Chrome – Who’s Losing?

1. are ppl aware that users here in StatCounter avoid using Firefox since it has a logging-in “cookies” problem, they tend to use IE or chrome

StatCounter Team Response:
    Eh… no Ahmad… in fact Firefox is the browser of choice for many of us here at StatCounter!

If you are having trouble, log into your account and send us a support ticket. Thanks!

2. I do not need Google looking over my shoulder 24/7. I can’t believe privacy issues are not being directly addressed and I am 100% certain that Google is calling home on ALL browser activity, “icognito” and otherwise!!

3. We all expect this during the beta stage, but I still don’t like it. Firefox may still end up being the one that loses the most. Even though Firefox outperforms IE in almost every respect, people still cling to their IE because they don’t like to change.

4. Those stats are pretty obvious. Lots of people tried and played around with the new browser. But then reverted to their older default browsers after the day. I don’t see a lot of people sticking to chrome because it although it does offer fast browsing speed but doesn’t offer anything new or really innovative to make people change from their other most favourite browsers.

5. Once Chrome gets a big user-made plugin base like Firefox, the competition between the two will become even more intense… The only thing that worries me about Chrome is privacy issues. As far as I hear, the current EULA lets Google track all your browsing habits. Call me paranoid but I don’t want that happening at all.

6. Cool!

Thanks for posting these. I’m really looking forward to Chrome and have a lot of confidence in Google’s ability to give the user what they want. I’ve enjoyed how Google’s development team have really brought outside-the-box ideas into the mainstream market.

I’m using Chrome as my default browser already. So far so good. Love the new interface. Very simple. I think they will fill out their options on the back-end as they move forward with the beta. 🙂

7. I downloaded Chrome and tested it. It took minutes to load pages that any other browser usually loads instantly. It could have been a bad hair day, but if it behaves the same the next time I try it I will probably uninstall it. As things stand, from my point of view, Firefox is far better.

Comments are closed.