Beta testing of the new StatCounter interface is well underway… so we’d like to say a HUGE thank you to all our dedicated beta testers – your feedback is crucial and we are so grateful for all the time and effort you are putting in.
If you have signed up for the beta but haven’t yet received an invitation – don’t worry! We’re still bringing new tranches of testers on board every few days… so keep an eye on your inbox!
Selection of Feedback
Here is a selection of the feedback (good and bad!) received so far:
- The look of the site is too similar (tabs at top) to too many other sites. The unique (but space effective and imho easy to use anyway) layout of the old site is much more favoured... and after the feedback was taken on board and changes implemented… I do not think now the new design is too much of a shock nor adjustment to old users
- This page -magnifying user is much better set out. Far easier to read!
- I like the multi-line layout and indentation on long referral URLs – much easier to read without the horizontal scrolling
- Love the date range at the top of lots of the detailed stats pages
- The new interface is excellent. Nice and bright and very easy to read. It’s more compact and I do love the colours and brightness. It’s very modern and up to date in all ways.
- At first glance I am not sure about the layout. I am sure I will get used to this as we do have to ‘move with the times’ so to speak. I know many will say “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” but yes, you have to move on and the new site overall is exciting. Initially, I do prefer the old visitor paths as all appeared to be in-line and easier to read.
- Well, overall having studied, and used, the beta version for a while now, I give it 99%. The only thing I do NOT like is the layout of the visitor paths.
- The new design is awesome, I like the whole thing about it. It’s clean, easy to understand and way better than the old design.
- This is NICE! Fresh, yet familiar. Everything is much easier to read and is simplified. Good job!
- I have to be honest-the full screen layout in the old design worked better for me.
- I am loving the new site. The new design is a lot slicker. The only feedback I have is that sometimes I feel there is a little colour clashing
- i am very pleased with the new look of statcounter and further impressed that there were no drops in my downloading speed of the page!
- Maybe looks more up to date, sexy grey and shading etc, but my first reaction is to reach for the view settings to try and make it all smaller on the screen so I can see more. I really like the way that original SC (OSC) is crammed packed with small type and links
- I have made a permanent switch to the beta. It’s still working very well.
- Congratulations!!!!!!!! StatCounter now has the look this incredible service deserves. It actually IS both new and extremely familiar.
- One thing I really enjoy about StatCounter pre-beta is its page openness and light feel. This is lost in the beta, and it feels like a lot of work to find the data that used to be easy to locate.
- Data looks good, but the design’s a bit 2008
- Just wanted to tell you again how much I like everything. Wish I could say the same for a number of other sites that I visit often that have done ‘makeovers’. Keep up the good work!
As you can see, the majority of feedback has been really positive – something that we are delighted about. Had the opposite been true, we would simply have had to bin the new design and start over! After all, we’re not doing it to make the site look pretty or so we can try out our design skills or experiment with new technologies … we’re doing this update to make using StatCounter a better experience for YOU. Period.
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”
The above comment is a recurring one on our last post – please rest assured that we have heard your concerns. We have no intention of jeopardising StatCounter for you in any way. We frequently get support requests for features that already exist.
For example, did you know that you can choose to display pageloads OR uniques on the My Projects page??
Or how about the fact that you can restore deleted projects for 6 weeks after deletion?
It’s simply not acceptable that many features are not obvious to our members and we are determined to put that right with the updated website.
We are also ACUTELY aware of the bad experiences many of you have had when online services do “updates” that seem to do more harm than good… Again, please be assured that we are doing and will do everything in our power to make the transition to the updated site as smooth as possible for everyone. We firmly believe that, when handled correctly, site updates can be successful and beneficial for all users and this is what we are hoping to achieve.
Remember, this update is happening simply and solely to make StatCounter better for you, our members. Most of the changes being made are happening as a direct result of feedback we have received from you over the last 12 months. If you haven’t already, please consider signing up as a beta tester – together, we can improve StatCounter all round and the more opinons in the melting pot, the better!