FF3 Gains Ground on IE

Mozilla Firefox 3 overtook Microsoft’s Internet logosExplorer 6 for the first time in February in the Internet Browser Wars according to monthly data from StatCounter Global Stats – our new free analysis tool.

Internet Explorer 7 continues to lead globally with 41% market share. However, Firefox 3 is now in second place with 24% replacing IE 6.

statcounter_global_stats_browsers_jan_to_mar_09

Click here to view full size graph.

“Since its launch less than a year ago, Firefox 3 has attained nearly one quarter of the global market,” commented Aodhan Cullen, CEO and founder, StatCounter. “IE 7 is consistently holding about 40% of the global market but IE 6 has fallen from 28% in July last to 22% in February this year.”**

The growth in usage of Firefox 3 can be partly attributed to users upgrading to the new version – Firefox 2 market share has fallen from 16% to 3% in the period.

Microsoft’s combined IE 7 and IE 6 market share has fallen from 68% in July last year to 63% now. IE 8 has gained a toehold in the market of just over 1%. Firefox 3 and 2 has grown from 25% in July last to 27% in February 2009.

** Source: Figures based on monthly StatCounter Global Stats analysis.

This entry was posted in Global Stats. Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to FF3 Gains Ground on IE

1. Sam says:

I tried out IE8 when the final version was released, and I was disappointed (although not surprised) to see that it is still slow and buggy. The UI reminds me of Google Chrome a little, but that’s as far as the similarity ends. I actually use Apple Safari as my main web browser, as I find Firefox too slow (but not as slow as IE).

It would be nice if future versions of Windows gave users the option to have IE installed or not (which I think will be the case with Windows 7) as we all know this is one of the main reasons why they have dominated the browser market.

/ rant over!

2. KT says:

Interesting to see the huge disparity in results between StatCounter and the more widely-touted Net Applications, especially for Opera; showing 7% market share in Europe for Opera.

Having said that, is your methodology better, given NetAppl’s process has been discredited as inaccurate…?

3. Pingback: » Firefox 3 il browser più utilizzato in Europa, secondo su scala globale

4. I think this is a first victory for FireFox :) even if it could be temporaly…
    Folks, so many people don’t change anything after purchasing their computer so that was quite normal to see all IE on the top but now, that means that people start to realize that Microsoft is not alone and not offer necessary the best product.

Anyway, as always great stats! :)
    Chris

5. funbiz says:

Use Firefox for ages, but lately been trying IE7 and kinda like it.

6. I’ve been happy with Firefox for quite a few years, but after hearing good things about IE7 I may give it a try, though I can’t see me sticking with it. I’ll miss the FF plug-ins too much I think!

7. I think many more people, especially those who were not to web-minded and coming to realise that you dont have to stick with what Microsoft provide or what comes installed as standard on their new pre-built dell.
    I personally do prefere IE to FF.

8. Vladimir says:

Yes, I too.

9. Matt Gannon says:

Wow great tool, I like to see how many users are using, search engines, browsers, and operating systems, i think the most useful is the search engine global stats!

10. Trainer Review says:

I don’t know why people don’t use Opera? Opera is a browser that has everything that Firefox can think of in coming 2 years. It is one of the most advanced browsers. I consider Firefox to be over hyped and IE as overused. Still I can not change people so I have to think what people think as I am a webmaster.

11. bedava sitem says:

thanks super stats

12. María says:

Ok, gracias por la información.
    espondilitis.eu

13. Rose says:

Super. I’m using in my blog.

14. Anglina says:

How we can check our blog traffic, if i choose invisable counter option.
    Please tell me.

15. Andrew says:

Well honestly, the only people still using IE6 are non-techies who don’t know what they’re doing so they keep the default browser. I’m saying this because IE6 is a terrible browser with no support for tabs even.

IE7 is much improved though, kudos to Microsoft for taking notice of Firefox and copying the good ideas :P

16. Chris says:

I agree Andrew,

Microsoft has to count with outsiders nows and especially those coming from the Linux world.
    Personaly, when I can use an open source product instead a Microsoft product I do it and guess what? It’s often better than the commercial one.
    That’s like StatCounter.com :) why do you want to pay another company when they offer a free awesome tool?

Keep up the good work,
    Chris

17. Pingback: Firefox now more popular than Internet Explorer

18. I didn’t even know about opera, that is great thanks alot.

19. Well, I think IE6 is losing ground mainly because it is getting really old. Some newer CSS styles and javascript functions don’t really work well if not at all, when viewed with IE6. IE7 is OK and IE8 is coming up, rendering IE6 obsolete. But if FF beats IE7, then that’s something.

20. bedava sitem says:

21. Taxi says:

Well, IE is on the top still.
    EI 6 is old now and I think it will die soon.