Chrome – Who’s Losing?

Here are the Global Browser Market Share stats for the last few days.

Looking at these numbers we can begin to identify which browsers are losing market share to Chrome.

IE FireFox Safari Chrome Other
Aug 28 68.17% 24.66% 2.83% N/A 4.33%
Aug 29 67.81% 24.78% 2.84% N/A 4.57%
Aug 30 65.41% 26.38% 3.04% N/A 5.17%
Aug 31 64.49% 26.91% 3.06% N/A 5.56%
Sep 01 66.92% 25.26% 2.99% N/A 4.84%
Sep 02* 67.58% 24.36% 2.91% N/A 5.06%
Sep 03 67.81% 23.54% 2.70% 1.11% 4.87%
Sep 04 70.87% 21.26% 2.48% 1.15% 4.25%

The below table outlines the changes in market share over the period:

IE FireFox Safari Chrome Other
Aug 28 - - - - -
Aug 29 (0.36%) +0.12% +0.01% N/A +0.24%
Aug 30 (2.40%) +1.60% +0.20% N/A +0.60%
Aug 31 (0.92%) +0.53% +0.02% N/A +0.39%
Sep 01 +2.43% (1.65%) (0.07%) N/A (0.72%)
Sep 02* +0.66% (0.90%) (0.08%) N/A +0.22%
Sep 03 +0.23% (0.82%) (0.21%) +1.11% (0.19%)
Sep 04 +3.06% (2.28%) (0.22%) +0.04% (0.62%)

*The Chrome browser was launched late in the day GMT time on Sept 2nd so the first full day of tracking for Chrome is Sept 3rd.

This information is based on a total sample for the period of over 250 million page views globally. All daily stats are based on 24 hour periods, bar the stats for today, September 4th, which are based on a 12 hour sample to 12noon GMT.

Update September 5, 2008, 4.30pm GMT

Further to several requests from journalists, the latest stats for Global Browser Market Share (up to 3pm GMT today) are available for download here:
Excel Version (.xls)
PDF Version (.pdf)

This entry was posted in Global Stats. Bookmark the permalink.

143 Responses to Chrome – Who’s Losing?

1. Pingback: SitePoint Blogs » Early Stats: Google Chrome Hurts Firefox, not IE

2. Pingback: Google Chrome apdzen Operu | Pods.lv

3. Thanks Statcounter,

There are so many comments above me that I’m afraid that you may not read this one, but if you do, may we please see some updated browser statistics? You guys are my only source for these kind of numbers and I would love to see them.

Thanks,
    Paul

4. Andrew says:

Google rocks!

5. sohbet says:

safari and firefox down Google can do everything on internet.

6. Vinod Bora says:

I was under the impression that it will be Chrome Vs. Microsoft but right now its like Chrome Vs. FireFox. FireFox has added lot of feature with its third version but there will be tuff fight. Ultimately it will be fight between Microsoft Vs. Chrome.

7. Pingback: Clker.com - weblog » Blog Archive » Linux spirits crawling in chrome

8. eBooks says:

IE is the giant is only because of it’s OS, Windows, in my point of view.
    Somemore alots of less tech-savvy or less internet-savvy users don’t know about other browsers. There are also alots of people are already so used to IE that they don’t wish to change their browsers.

I believe very soon, market share will be taken away from IE in time to come by other browsers. Firefox and Google Chrome is the two that Microsoft need to worry about. And for their OS, they must keep a lookout for MAC OS. Microsoft must be on their toes and be more proactive in the market.

9. Pingback: Crome Hurts Firefox more than IE - Hidden Pixels

10. Pingback: ‘Chrome niet geschikt voor thuisgebruik’ | aboutMEDIA

11. Jim says:

We’re getting stats today of less than 0.3% on Chrome. Dating site stats (so users might not be savvy enough to change) but thats still a big disparty to day 1-5 figues. Anyone else got big anomalies like this?

12. Pingback: » FireFox losing users to Google Chrome » Tom Doyle :: TALK

13. Aaron says:

great information here my massage website is looking up thanks to stat counter cheers vacations in Hawaii visit kauaiMassages.com room rates kauai activities and more kauai coupons more …..lol ;) :)

14. Jeff says:

This is just the beginning however. 1% over a day, imagine over a few months. 20 or 30% guys? Keep the great posts up statcounter

15. nobody0 says:

I see an increase in IE usage also at the same time as Chrome increases. Are these poeple the ones that are BETA’ing IE8 as well as Chrome?

16. Pingback: 10 дни с Google Chrome

17. Pingback: Google Chrome Early Testing « The 28-Hour-Day diet

18. Pingback: Google Chrome comic book sold on eBay Aus : TameBay : eBay news blog and forum

19. Pingback: Slavo Ingilizov » Blog Archive » Where will Chrome’s share come from?

20. Pingback: browser wars (or choices) « The daily blah blah

21. Shiva says:

i used ur chrome stats pic. @

is it allright with u?

22. I bet that in future chrome are going to be the 2 browser, on line.

23. Pingback: 10 Reasons Internet Explorer Killer Google Chrome Becomes Top Browser « ToMuse.com: wonderings of a Web consumer

24. As shown on the link http://blog.statcounter.com/2008/06/stout-performance-by-ff3/ the popularity of this question is quite high. I wonder why firefox can be so much better, when it’s made by google, yet internet explorer is by the company that makes the windows system?

25. Pingback: Google Chrome, the Firefox Killer? | Web Developer Guru

26. Great post ! I want to know when you update your blog, where can i subscribe to your blog? :) :) :)

27. ArabBible says:

I think Chrome will gain a better share of the market as time goes on since Google will be able to promote it among their marketing programs.

28. Mikey says:

doesn’t surprise me

29. Pingback: Google Chrome Browser Market Share | Small Business SEO Blog

30. Shame it doesn’t work on macs – I wonder when/if it will be available? Will be interesting to see if it stands the test of time.

31. I think it will stay….

32. Pingback: e-dilik, actualités WEB 2.0 » Archive du blog » Chrome VS FireFox, IE, Safari… Ou en est-on?

33. It’s true what has been said above, that the majority of people believe that the only way of getting onto the internet is by clicking the big blue icon!

I liked Chrome at first, as it has a slightly larger viewing area than Mozilla, but removed Chrome because of the constant cruching of my hardrive…are Google collecting ALL my data? ;)

34. Hello,
    How exactly are Safari users switching to Chrome when Chrome is not even available for Mac OS X? That is absolutely no way you can make that conclusion.

35. Automatic Scuttle Submitter is 100% automatic social bookmarking software designed to submit your domains to thousands of Scuttle sites. Not only Automatic Scuttle Submitter creates accounts and bookmarks sites automatically, but also parses meta tags for each URL and runs itself in background without any user interaction.

36. Pingback: Firefox es la víctima de Google Chrome | Blog de posicionamiento web en buscadores (SEO) y marketing online

37. I think it is too early to say what chrome will evolve into

38. Pingback: Google Chrome Browser Market Share | Mass Media Design Blog

39. Diacus Group says:

cool browser is google chrome
    nice site by the way!

40. Mike says:

Not a surprise that Firefox is the loser, but they will not lose me right now.

41. I’m still using Chrome and my novelty threshold is normally really low!!

42. Not suprising that firefox is losing to IE. I was actually thinking that Firefox will be the biggest loser. I tested Crome and it look dosent looked finished, obviously there is much more to come.

43. I use Chrome almost exclusively now, unless there is something that will not display then I revert back to Firefox. Do miss my Google toolbar though!