Chrome – Who’s Losing?

Here are the Global Browser Market Share stats for the last few days.

Looking at these numbers we can begin to identify which browsers are losing market share to Chrome.

IE FireFox Safari Chrome Other
Aug 28 68.17% 24.66% 2.83% N/A 4.33%
Aug 29 67.81% 24.78% 2.84% N/A 4.57%
Aug 30 65.41% 26.38% 3.04% N/A 5.17%
Aug 31 64.49% 26.91% 3.06% N/A 5.56%
Sep 01 66.92% 25.26% 2.99% N/A 4.84%
Sep 02* 67.58% 24.36% 2.91% N/A 5.06%
Sep 03 67.81% 23.54% 2.70% 1.11% 4.87%
Sep 04 70.87% 21.26% 2.48% 1.15% 4.25%

The below table outlines the changes in market share over the period:

IE FireFox Safari Chrome Other
Aug 28
Aug 29 (0.36%) +0.12% +0.01% N/A +0.24%
Aug 30 (2.40%) +1.60% +0.20% N/A +0.60%
Aug 31 (0.92%) +0.53% +0.02% N/A +0.39%
Sep 01 +2.43% (1.65%) (0.07%) N/A (0.72%)
Sep 02* +0.66% (0.90%) (0.08%) N/A +0.22%
Sep 03 +0.23% (0.82%) (0.21%) +1.11% (0.19%)
Sep 04 +3.06% (2.28%) (0.22%) +0.04% (0.62%)

*The Chrome browser was launched late in the day GMT time on Sept 2nd so the first full day of tracking for Chrome is Sept 3rd.

This information is based on a total sample for the period of over 250 million page views globally. All daily stats are based on 24 hour periods, bar the stats for today, September 4th, which are based on a 12 hour sample to 12noon GMT.

Update September 5, 2008, 4.30pm GMT

Further to several requests from journalists, the latest stats for Global Browser Market Share (up to 3pm GMT today) are available for download here:
Excel Version (.xls)
PDF Version (.pdf)

143 comments on “Chrome – Who’s Losing?

1. Thanks Statcounter,

There are so many comments above me that I’m afraid that you may not read this one, but if you do, may we please see some updated browser statistics? You guys are my only source for these kind of numbers and I would love to see them.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. I was under the impression that it will be Chrome Vs. Microsoft but right now its like Chrome Vs. FireFox. FireFox has added lot of feature with its third version but there will be tuff fight. Ultimately it will be fight between Microsoft Vs. Chrome.

3. IE is the giant is only because of it’s OS, Windows, in my point of view.
    Somemore alots of less tech-savvy or less internet-savvy users don’t know about other browsers. There are also alots of people are already so used to IE that they don’t wish to change their browsers.

I believe very soon, market share will be taken away from IE in time to come by other browsers. Firefox and Google Chrome is the two that Microsoft need to worry about. And for their OS, they must keep a lookout for MAC OS. Microsoft must be on their toes and be more proactive in the market.

4. We’re getting stats today of less than 0.3% on Chrome. Dating site stats (so users might not be savvy enough to change) but thats still a big disparty to day 1-5 figues. Anyone else got big anomalies like this?

5. great information here my massage website is looking up thanks to stat counter cheers vacations in Hawaii visit kauaiMassages.com room rates kauai activities and more kauai coupons more …..lol 😉 🙂

6. It’s true what has been said above, that the majority of people believe that the only way of getting onto the internet is by clicking the big blue icon!

I liked Chrome at first, as it has a slightly larger viewing area than Mozilla, but removed Chrome because of the constant cruching of my hardrive…are Google collecting ALL my data? 😉

7. Hello,
    How exactly are Safari users switching to Chrome when Chrome is not even available for Mac OS X? That is absolutely no way you can make that conclusion.

8. Automatic Scuttle Submitter is 100% automatic social bookmarking software designed to submit your domains to thousands of Scuttle sites. Not only Automatic Scuttle Submitter creates accounts and bookmarks sites automatically, but also parses meta tags for each URL and runs itself in background without any user interaction.

9. Not suprising that firefox is losing to IE. I was actually thinking that Firefox will be the biggest loser. I tested Crome and it look dosent looked finished, obviously there is much more to come.

Comments are closed.